Then,
I was awake.
Once
adjusted to the ominous black, I gazed upon pinpricks of white: some far away
and others like neighbours. Yes, in the beginning, the galaxy did not feel like
a solitary place. Time was washed away by peering into the stars, marvelling.
Each rotation displayed a new angle, a new perspective on the inky garden I was
anchored to. The blazing petals stood against the heavy atmosphere – was it
oppressing? No, it was simply there, just surrounding us in a sea of nothing.
I
did not notice change until I began to sweat rivers. They tricked around my
spherical form; the atmosphere-of-nothing preventing the torrents from falling
below. Water pooled and swelled like a star about to erupt.
And,
in response, ulcers began to bulge, hot and sore, filling with the pulsating
orange blood. When one did seep, the wax trickled; crusting, creating moles of
rocks. Other lingered on, shifting in the oceans, as I broke up.
I
was forming: becoming a world.
Soon,
ticks niggled at my scalp, now split into woven islands. They developed
alongside I, conjoining and recalculating, until they inhabited my whole body.
Some would patter along my forehead, while others tangled into trees, or rode
upon pinched mountains. Some floated like I in the seas, sinking into embedded
pores, unaware of the blistering of my molten blood.
Their
eyes consumed the atmosphere – as I did when first conceived – while I blew air
in circulations, as they prayed for breath. Some invented night and day, which
merely passed me by with each, lumbering pirouette. They could see what I first
witnessed, as they stumbled into life and death.
For
I was a God, a life source to those who pranced upon my watery skin.
I
was Earth.
Written after inspiration from Sharon Olds' poem 'First Hour'
No comments:
Post a Comment