Monday, 22 May 2017

Made up on Makeup

Ah, makeup. That old trick, as some may refer to it. (Question: why in the world would you think that shimmering bronze eyelids and lips as red as the Union Jack are natural? Exactly. So, no one is lying to you. Ok, mini rant over!) We are swamped with media of beautifully made-up faces, with sharp eyeliner that could cut you if your finger ran over it. (You will probably also get cut by the person who is wearing said eyeliner too, because it took them well over twenty minutes and three attempts to perfect.) We are literally drowning in Best Beauty Buys and High Street vs. High End that it is a miracle that we can even decide what to slosh – delicately – onto our faces.
And, this is my first problem: what in the heck should I buy?

Backpedalling a little, here is my (very brief) history of make up: like most young girls, I was gifted makeup sets that were as garish as they were useful. Although an all over grey-shimmering eyelid and glassy cerise-pink lipgloss may indeed be achieved stunningly by women and men today, for my six year old self, let me just say it is not a look I want to repeat. For a short period of time, Christmases and Birthdays involved a few new items to privately paint upon my face (I do not remember, and sincerely hope that I did not, go out in public like this…) because that was the age that we were. But, then I grew up and mostly lost interest, and, unlike today, did not have makeup tutorials to guide me through. Fast-track to Year 11, when I occasionally wore a very cheap mascara that I bought for a ballet show (and, by very cheap, I mean Miss Sporty £2 cheap) and dabbled with some concealer for my spot-splattered skin. (Alas, my skin is still bad but for some reason constantly complaining about it seems easier to me than covering it up.) I also purchased an eyelash curler – outward appearances would conclude that it is indeed a medieval torture trap – and my first proper lipstick. However, this was all in aid of our summer prom, so I felt compelled to at least splash a little something on my face. Then, Year 12, and I simply could not be bothered, to put it in its simplest terms. The only changes I made to my face was the daily wash-scrub-moisturise-spot stick routine (please, let it be simpler, please) and a clamp of the eyelash curlers. However, once I reached Year 13 last September, it occurred to me that mascara would probably prevent my face from shouting to the world that I was a student and constantly tired – even with eight plus hours of sleep – so I invested in a Benefit Roller Lash mascara and have never looked back, with my longer, blacker, better lashes. And, it does make a lot of difference. (The only criticism is that every couple of hours, I have to discreetly run my fingers under my bottom eyelashes, fearful of fallout and it sitting ever so nicely in that little crevice running under my eye, to give the appearance of a bad breakup or a late night. If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid this racoon-like look, I would appreciate the help.) And, more recently still, I have stuck my naïve – and quite small – hand into the universe that is lipsticks, and, my, it is great. (Except, I am of the lazy type that hates to line my lips and top them up and do all of that so the lipstick still only makes an occasional occurrence.) I have also been surprised – and a little startled at first, but then uncontrollably ecstatic – at the amount of compliments I have received when my lips adorn a new shade – of the two I own, mind.

Now, with my toes edging off the precipice into the unknown that is eighteen, I am trying to learn more. (And, consequently, I also have to buy more.) My Internet history is stacked with research into the best products – and value for money, because in no way am I spending £30 on a product that Rimmel has duped perfectly – and the colours I will suit and how in the world I, a simple Helena, will achieve a blended perfection of my eyeshadow.

So, with my purse’s clasp open, I am attempting to learn – at the grand old age of seventeen-turning-eighteen – how to apply makeup well. And, I think on a public space like this, it probably will hark for an update on progress and products.

Wish me luck in my makeup journey, crammed with metallics and glosses (also, I really cannot comprehend with this trend of lipgloss on your eyelids. Please, stop.) and wands to whisk it all into my skin. I think I may need it.

2 comments:

  1. You will always appear beautiful to me as my beautiful Helena X X make up or not X X

    ReplyDelete