This time last week I fell in love.
Bold claim?
I believe it would be if I were proclaiming it from a
swift glance of a boy on the tube. But, no, this adoration is not just for one
person (not where you think it is going, promise) but for two bands (told you).
Because last Thursday, dragging my best friend behind me, I sped-walked into
KOKO in anticipation of the Great Bop Along to Marsicans and Hippo Campus.
In July, I had seen Marsicans perform at 110 Above
Festival (you want to know more? Of course you do – have a peek here: https://helenaquainton.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/110-above-rest.html)
and was instantly infatuated with their feel-good vibes, M&M-style dress
and – self-described – ‘dirty pop’ music. So, as soon as my Twitter pinged with
their announcement of a London venue gig a few months later, I had already
booked the tickets before I had even researched who they were supporting.
The band Marsicans were opening for were Hippo Campus,
a band I had coincidently heard of a month or so beforehand and actually laughed (shamefully) at their name:
after two years of psychology, I could not comprehend why someone would want to
name their band after a part in the brain that controls memory function.
However, how wrong I was to laugh, because once I had whooshed up Spotify, I
was instantly enchanted by the smooth sooth of Monsoon, while continuously murmuring ‘that’s the way it goes, that’s the way it go-o-o-o-os’ in the
kitchen and living-room and bedrooms and shower, much to my family’s silent
fury, as I had not learnt the rest of the words to The Way it Goes. I was so excited to see both live that when it
came to Thursday 12th October, my brain had convinced myself that it
was simply a rosey imagining.
Before my pal Livvy and I had even reached the venue,
I had already had a day of nachos, natter and nonsense at her house, as my English
lesson had been conveniently cancelled for the day. (I mean, of course I was
studying all day. Of course…) So by the time I had literally
run through the ticket gate from Mornington Crescent train station at 5:20, I
was already more adrenaline-pumped than a golden retriever presented with a
tennis ball – I probably appeared just as manic too. People were already
slumped with food in a mashed queue outside the venue, but for once it would
have still been recognisable without the people, as the burlesque-bright red
lights of ‘KOKO’ adorned the stately venue perfectly clearly. Even after
standing, eating and standing a bit more in the queue for more than an hour and
a half, I was still jumping from foot-to-foot (morphing into a golden retriever
with two tennis balls at their
dispense.)
As soon as my phone announced the chime of 7, the line
began to chug around the corner, until we
were the front, and then inside. I literally sprinted to the stage, almost
losing Livvy in the process of attempting to be as near to the front as
possible. Second row. (Second and a half row, once two girls had politely
pushed in front of us – they did ask, but we could not really say no.) And
then, 7:15, my heart palpitated as guitar and vocalist James Newbigging, drummer
Cale (Matthew) McHale, guitarist Oli Jameson and keys/bass player Rob Brander
of Marsicans took up their instruments on stage. And let me tell you, if you
thought that I would not sing every word you
would be wrong, because Marsicans did not disappoint with their line-up;
their allocated half an hour was crammed with their hits, including Swimming (a total bop), Friends (which I sung directly towards
Livvy for the whole 3 minutes, without breaking eye contact), as well as Wake up Freya, a more docile song that
really enhances the vulnerability and effortlessness one voice can have in a
song’s narrative. They hit back with their new single, Too Good, the song that made my brother burst into my room,
concerned that I had fallen over, when in reality I was just leaping around my
room to the sugar-stranded harmonies. As soon as they were off stage, I was so
elated I thought I could levitate towards the ceiling: a gem in itself, as KOKO
incubates three tiers, all ornamented with rich, oxblood red. (There was even a
glitter-ball globe that would descend in the climax of Hippo Campus’ set – I
was like a golden retriever with two tennis balls, a big stick and a packet of
bacon all for myself.)
![]() |
| How you sound recorded VS how you sound live, through pictures |
After Marsicans came Toothless, the second support
band of the night. Although they were not completely my ‘jam’ (I can feel my
mum rolling her eyes into oblivion at yet another word that has been procured
to mean something else) I appreciated the mellow and almost distant atmosphere they
created, with subtle voices and a good use of the tambourine.
And then the whole room become one big, screaming,
bouncing energy ball, as Hippo Campus strolled onto the stage, made up of lead
singer and guitarist Jake Luppen, bassist Zach Sutton, guitar and vocalist
Nathan Stocker, and drummer Whistler Allen. Later, Livvy and I would agree that
we have never seen a gig crowd like it, at least not those around us: Livvy was
unsuspectingly attacked by a girl head-banging behind her, whose boobs seemed
to migrate into Livvy’s back on several occasions, as she joined the chorus of
jumping adolescents. But, there is something rather thrilling; to be swallowed
up by the singing of the crowd, who know all the words to every song (which was
what I had become an hour or so before with Marsicans). Hippo Campus’ music is
described as another ‘indie pop/rock band quartet’ but they effortlessly glide
between more easy-listening low vocals, such as The Way It Goes (I have learnt the lyrics now) to punchy beats and
a lot ‘rockier’ ambiance in Buttercup.
A song that is certain to attract anyone who identifies with
indie-alternative-rock-pop is Baseball,
from the band’s new EP, Warm Glow,
which bounces between all their different styles effortlessly. Also it’s one of
those songs you cannot help but
boogie down to (hello, yes, if you saw a girl doing this at the gig, hello, it
was me) – but most of their songs are!
| Some good beats from Hippo Campus here. Also Jake Luppen is one of the only people I have ever seen to still resemble attractiveness, even when sweaty. |
The reason why bands like Hippo Campus and Marsicans
are so good to see live is because they describe themselves as live bands: they have fun and that
really energises the audience, which holds outstretched to you like the
blinding glitter-ball above us: you just have to grasp it in both arms and
dance too. With Marsicans, I - and many around us - beamed equally as Oli
lunged around the stage, while Rob wore his ‘grandma’s dressing gown’ (not my
words). The lunging theme continued when Hippo Campus’ Zach looked like his
skinny trousers would not take much more of his exercises, before Jake’s vocals
flooded through the microphone. On this note, can I just say (and I will) that
Jake’s vocals are even more incredible
live, with unfathomable high notes that actually caused silence to ripple
across the audience (a non-existent phenomenon there, I can assure you).
However, my favourite part of the show shimmied right
in at the end, with Hippo Campus’ encore of Buttercup.
And this was because Marsicans only went and joined them! It was as if you had
sandwiched your favourite fillings together, only to discover they worked so
perfectly that you would never eat them separate again (see salted caramel, or
peanut butter and jelly/jam).
![]() |
| A screenshot of one of my most treasured videos: shows the madness quite well |
As we tried not to fall while scaling the clogged
stairs of overly excited adolescents, clutching their new memories, I decided
my next mission: merch. I needed some
merchandise to commemorate an amazing night, as well as avoid the initial rush
onto the train, smothering unsuspecting commuters with gaggles of post-gig exhilaration.
And that is when my heart probably stopped for a second time: there they were,
Marsicans’ Oli and Cale just standing
there taking photos. Nervously I toddled over to them, where they were both
discussing shampoo (apparently Cale’s hair smells delicious, which is a bonus
point right there). I got a photo and managed to fumble over expressing how
great they were, but once again, I failed to say anything meaningful. So, as
soon as I had purchased a t-shirt and CD and realised I was standing next to
Marsicans’ James, I had to say something… which went along the lines of ‘you
are my favourite band ever and you were amazing and I can’t wait to see you
again.’ I know I am 18, but I must have looked about as old as an 18 month old
baby with sheer adrenalin-syringed nerves, and he gave me a hug. A moment
afterwards, I hopped down the stairs to meet Livvy and felt so weak from the
anticipation, I had to buy chocolate and a smoothie.
As we boarded the train home, I realised that this was
probably one of the best nights I have ever had. Thank you so much for the amazing music, crazy crowd, rad hair and loads of fun.
| Half of Marsicans (Cale and Oli) and me |
Early this week, another tweet swished through my
phone, with another show announcement by Marsicans for March in London. Within
five minutes of the announcement I had bought the tickets and roped my other
best chum (and travelling companion extraordinaire, if you read https://helenaquainton.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/after-we-had-packed-up-exams-and-burned.html) Emily to come along with me.
I am already excited.
And still in love.
![]() |
| Look what came in the post today: not only the tickets but a balloon and bloomin' signed photo card of my loves. You bet it is already tacked up to my wall. |



No comments:
Post a Comment