Inspired by W H Auden's 'O Tell Me the Truth About Love', which I wrote last year
Some say that life is
new spring chicks
Emerging from their
eggs
Acknowledging the
world first time
On wobbly little legs
And when I asked the
mother hen
What she had created
She chuckled at what
she’d just born
The opposite of
hatred.
Does life all come
down to one’s survival,
On this insignificant
rock?
Does it hail water as
our revival,
Or the food we have
to stock?
Is it about caring
for each other,
Or just getting
yourself by?
Is it treating one’s
neighbours like brother?
O tell me the truth
about life.
Some say that life
revolves ‘round death
The pessimistic view
Quite common to have
this belief
Grim Reaper will come
soon
I’ve found this
rather sad to think
We live only for end
Constantly tilting on
the edge
A state where we
suspend.
Does it continue
because of memory,
All those videos we
harvest?
Could forgetfulness
be our enemy,
Halting life on its
bounding quest?
Is it counting on
neurons in the brain?
Does it need senses
to be rife?
Will it collapse
without synapse’s chain?
O tell me the truth
about life.
I have travelled
around the world
Maybe it’s to do with
time
I tried to ask the
clock if his hands knew
If life demands its
chime
I can’t be sure if
it’s Earth’s rotation
Which keeps our lives
in check
Celestial points
surrounding the sun
A trillion year old
trek.
Can it be defined as
our DNA,
Are scientists
finally right?
Is it coding that
makes our life this way?
It can be laid out in
plain sight
Have our ancestors
shaped it for today?
Can be supported by
the knife
Cutting genes and
studied on display
O tell me the truth
about life.
What if life is
simply about living,
Bracing yourself for
ev’ryday?
Taking it as much as
you are giving
And all the time you
lead the way
Is life really about
what you make it,
To be content and not
with strife?
I can’t find the
guide or beginners kit
O tell me the truth
about life.
| The beginning or the ending? |
No comments:
Post a Comment