Scrolling through my feed, with only the
occasional patter of semi-chipped nail-vanished nails on the smudged screen to
distil the silence, I double-no triple
tap on a new photo by melinabeauty:
Miss Melina, with her frolicking curls kicking into the air against the
Parisian backdrop of side streets and cobbles, effortlessly tossing- no, delicately placing a vintage Burberry
scarf over her slender shoulders, smiling mid-girlish-giggle, into the camera,
her eyes alight even behind mauve-tinted sunglasses. I pause. Where did she
scout that scarf? The Burberry dynasty fell, with thread and dollars ablaze,
over thirty years ago, its stock virtually unseen for decades. I wonder if she
has advisors, designers, panderers who take their wallets like rifles into the
handrail jungles, hunting for the rare pieces to pounce upon. I wonder if she
pays them, or if they are rewarded by being number eighty-seven of one hundred
and twenty one hashtags, because she
loves us all. Miss Melina, with skin that is rumoured to be completely
pore-free, and legs long enough to ride a penny-farthing comfortably. (Who said these bad boys have to stay in the
1880s? was ThriftStoreSteffi’s camera-aimed comment, as she slung her mini mini bag over the authentically-rusted
handlebars, snapped by Hallå magazine,
and it was instantly in anybody who is anybody’s feed.) She was probably one of
those lucky ones who had their genes examined, studied to excavate the harsh
pebbles in amongst the golden stars of a future icon. Not that they are
actually allowed to intercept rogue
splinters in DNA, but it cannot be a coincidence that those who have money seem
to be smooth and knot-free. Look at her, Melina, Miss Melina, with her perfect
photo-worthy life.
I come across ThriftStoreSteffi’s third picture atop her penny-farthing –
‘Bruce’, as if she did not even have to try to cultivate any more followers,
she chose a delightfully tough yet comical and quirky name – to complete her
perfect trios, all glazed with a deliciously hazy pink hue. jaz eats away at a ruby-round bonny-baby
apple, while S T A R S T R U C K
meditates in front of an image of a polar bear. I remember learning about those
in school: huge, shabby-white bears, turned-in feet that could kill with one
swipe, all reduced to ribcages and droopy, inky jowls. Even mum can barely
remember them.
And then filling my screen was Isabel (now a copyrighted name, as of
two years ago, when her brand took over America), with her signature
over-saturated filter; perfect for covering any blemish – not that her
beautiful skin even knew that ugly, forbidden word. She was lying damsel-like
on a retro lime-green lilo, in a red swimsuit made entirely of strands held
together at the side, to give a modest impression until one got within five
meters, as the dutiful camera man clearly had. However, this particularly
risqué wear wasn’t what drew my attention – nor her toned body or her wild, yet
tangle-free, hair – but what she was floating upon: instead of the typical
clear water, cleaned quarter-hourly from the smog that drifts through the air
from every factory (no matter how ‘clean’ their labels proclaim), possibly
exhibiting a sheer drop below, the water was white. I zoom in, pinching the
screen further and further until the minuscule granules were broken up into
their singular parts.
It was unmistakably sugar: a pool full of
sweet, white sand. I scan the caption: just one dollar sign.
Waggling my fingers around in the air
like I am conducting a crab-sized symphony, in confusion of what to make of
it, I command my screen to refresh with more sharp aggression than I had
intended. It was everywhere: a craze for sugar.
Girls with wire-infused pigtails threw
sugar in the air like it was fake snow that was imported in at Christmas. Men,
with strained plastic bags of sugar, pointed with gun-shaped fingers to their
sweet bounty resting on one knee. With their supersonic cars and six figure
wardrobes, pre-teens kissed coffee cups overflowing with sugar: ‘Money sure is sweet’.
After the 2037 sugar tax, and the 2039
amendment, and the 2041, 2042 and 2045 revisions too, sugar has been – until
now, apparently – extinct, for us at least: it is a silent, secret knowledge
that is whispered around the crowns and palaces, a tiny silver spoonful stirred
into loose tea for those with gold in their back pocket. I do not even remember
the texture of it, our taste buds coated now only with slimy sweeteners. After
the first Sugar Tax, Gran always brought the conversation back to her high
school history lessons, learning about the Tudors using sugar to brush
their teeth to exhibit their wealth to the peasants below them. And here we
are, first the penny-farthing, now sugar to show your societal status: surely
this is regression?
Every other photo is contaminated with
the white specks, piled higher and higher in ratio to money. I realise then
that my tea, green and grassy, is still full beside me. Taking a gulp, without
my eyes averting from the conveyer-belt of scrolling photos, I swill the
liquid spiked with fake sweetness between my teeth. The Sugar Tax really did
make the rich sweet.

No comments:
Post a Comment