I may be just one timid soul
among the plentiful sheep.
But a herd may overrun
a shepherd who chooses to maltreat.
What if we are lead into doubt
about how we should present
our bodies, that we are ashamed of?
And not through our own consent.
Like the forgivable moon
or the thinness of the reeds,
we should be proud of our nature
and ignore those who impede.
Because my body doth offend you?
Well, listen awful well:
there’s a reason we’re here today
and it’s not for you to tell
when we’re permitted to show flesh
if it doesn’t correspond with ‘ideal’
I think we can decide ourselves
what will consist of our next meal.
Do you think we’re here to look at?
Arranged to file one after each.
Well, my face is not unsymmetrical
for your cosmetics to breach.
In fact, shove your beauty standards
where the bleaching is still performed.
I’m tired of staying in lipstick lines
of society’s laws that we still conform.
I can decide when my lashes flicker
We are powerful women
Catcalls shouldn’t make us walk quicker
We are powerful women
I am rising from cultural conformity,
to fulfil my hand-tailored destiny.
Climbing social ladders as elevators
We are powerful women
Beauty winks in our very pores
We are powerful women
Obey your own style instead of flaws;
continue to smile at reflections because
We are powerful women.
We are powerful women.
We are. Powerful women.
Inspired by an incredible poem by Maya Angelou, called 'Still I Rise'
No comments:
Post a Comment