Tuesday, 6 September 2016

Big Day Out

Our task was to write a poem to make someone cry. Here was my best shot:


‘We’re off on a li’l trip!’ Granddad exclaimed
I put on my boots – he did the laces
Then tumbled into the car – it hadn’t changed
And off we went, to exciting new places

“Shall we stop off here?” Granddad grinned
I took out the tennis ball and rackets
From the boot – he always made the ball spin
And I’ll be like him, with some more practice

“Let’s go into the playground,” Granddad smiled
I swapped the tennis stuff for a football
Then we kicked it around for a hundred miles
And he whooshed in when I was going to fall

“Shall I get out the picnic?” Granddad said
I pulled two rug corners – he took the rest
Chomping no-crust sandwiches til well fed
He’s got the secret to make them the best

“We’ve still got time for the swings,” Granddad wheezed
I ran ahead – couldn’t catch my fast legs
And got really high – from bending my knees
I now know how, so he’s easy to beat

Granddad didn’t say anything for ages
I scuffed my shoes to slow down to his pace
- Mummy wasn’t there to be in a rage
Now I didn’t want to try and win the race

I held his big hand, which is really rare
Unless crossing the road – this time I said
“It’s ok Granddad, you don’t need to be scared
You will still be with me, inside my head

1 comment:

  1. Made me cry ! X

    The hours you spent at the play park - x

    ReplyDelete