Saturday, 10 September 2016

Food Review, A A Gill Style

In Creative Writing this week, we had to emulate the review styles of food critic, A A Gill. Because I didn't want to be pretentious and rude, I just opted for pretentious. It's on a little restaurant I went to in Italy this year:

LO SBARCO DEI PIRATI
Eraclea Mare, Italy

Food ★★★★
Atmosphere ★★★★★

When does fancy-dress transform from the ‘done’ party trait to a satirical, ironic quirk? Will I have to wait until a big ‘0 until I can request (or more likely demand) my esteemed guests sashay into the garden in a blonde wig and Cinderella drapes? The last fancy dress party I attended was not actually one at all; my brother and I were then subjected to playing limbo and ‘freeze when the music stops’ – which I must confess was a lot more stressful than many realize – in Red Indian and black cat costumes. That anxiety has subsequently plagued my school career and further: is it actually mufti day or is it tomorrow? Chauffer-driven allowed a brief few minutes of eagerly glancing, like a tennis match, to both sides of the road to try and identify if that person was taking part in non-uniform or were just a wandering member of the public. Even now, the idea of being overdressed brings me out into internal hives, hysterically screaming at the notion of realizing everyone else is just adhering to the ‘causal’ part of ‘smart-casual’. But, as a seven year old, the ‘non-fancy-fancy-dress’ party hasn’t created a spiral of feverish nightmares and, luckily, my costume was relatively low key. If I had come as something a bit more outlandish, heaven forbid, an astronaut or pirate, it may be the reason I would still be in therapy today. But, pirate doesn’t have to shriek in your ears ‘argh!’ and slit your throat with swords and hooks and frenziedly-ruffled shirts. Upon entering Lo Sbarco Dei Pirati, I was pleasantly surprised that it was a modest ‘Land of Pirates’ and not an immature affair with inflatable beach attire and ‘swash-buckling’ waiters. I was promptly shown to our seat and nibbled at the light breadsticks and accompaniments which flew onto the table; rigging was slung over a bannister and a mimic of the hull of a ship was at the front of the central drinks area, but the minimalist decoration – in terms of pirates – was little more. The food too was simple in ingredients, but truly delicious. I ordered a linguine with peeled shrimps and pistachio, which arrived in a metal pan, steaming on the table. At once the waiter swirled up the pasta effortlessly and arranged it on my plate. Being in Italy, you’d expect nothing less than well-cooked pasta, but the pistachio accompaniment acted like a fresh, nutty pesto, replacing the need for any sauce. And, they were the largest shrimps I have ever encountered on my plate: they must have fuse two shrimps together in the cooking process.


This find was clearly thriving in the restaurant strip, with families patiently standing in a queue (very British; you could tell we were situated near a holiday camp) for tables and takeaway meals of the same quality as what had just been served to myself. It would, however, have been a shame to open my pasta pot in my apartment and have the sudden realization no one was going to spiral it on my plate for me. And, although busy, the tables were spread enough for conversations to be kept at an audible level with your company, without others unintentionally eavesdropping (although, frankly, I always do try).

For dessert, I was lead to a literal treasure-chest cabinet, adorned with all the fresh choices. I selected a cheesecake, sprinkled with berries. When it was placed in front of me a minute later, it was dressed presentably, but I did notice a lack of actual berries. Whether I was unfortunate to get a piece with fewer, or they were merely parsimonious – I will presume the former, as I could not view this delightful place as stingy. Lo Sbarco Dei Pirati was a pleasant surprise and its laidback atmosphere, accompanied with real-tasting Italian food, should entice any holiday-goer or local to visit a land of discrete pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment