Today,
the family and I spontaneously decided to drive up to London and visit Oxford
Street. (We were later to learn that this was a genius ploy for dad to buy more
clothes from John Lewis, but that then gave us
the excuse to have lunch there. Side note directed at Oxford Street John Lewis:
why have you taken away the crêpe
maker? I almost felt personally offended – and disappointed – that I could not
chomp on a sugar-lemon/Nutella/dangerously-delicious hybrid that I used to
enjoy so much. But, we’ll have to come to that another time.)
After
lunch, we slalomed our way to Hamleys because my younger brother – ok more so
me – wanted to visit. And here is where I struck the question: when am I
supposed to act mature and grow up?
While
most late teenagers (take me back to being twelve!) would trudge around the
floors, occasionally glancing at a toy of nostalgia, I was full-on hyped the whole way around: posing with
life-size stuffed toys (when I was younger, I always thought of the royal
family and how I was sure their children would have dozens of these realistic
creatures in the various playrooms… If only I could own a five foot,
bear-hugging-grizzly) and soaring the plastic animals high into the air (these
are so underrated, as they’re one of the only toy animals you can take into the
bath with you) and wanting nothing more than my own miniature Steiff zebra. And
that was just the first floor. I was especially tempted to repurchase the
create-your-own stickers on one of their demonstration stores, but I sensed mum
feared my mental capacity.
In
fact, I was more excited gliding around Hamleys than the majority of children
in there – let’s remember the average age constituted of under ten years old.
![]() |
| Trying to find my maturity |
Should
I have been acting like this?
For
one, my absolute
turn-off-don’t-speak-to-me-don’t-even-try-to-apologise-pet-hate is people
telling me to ‘grow up’ or ‘stop acting like a child’. But then, I do something
like this.
So
the question is, are they correct? Am I just pretending to be a youngster again?
Is there even anything wrong with that?
For
the past week, I’ve felt rather stressed (I literally had a minute breakdown
last week) due to university choices and predicted grade exams and the general
torrent of life desperately hurling me off the waterfall of life. So, it was
nice – almost relaxing – to step into the opposite direction of childhood. Does
this therefore mean I’m not being childish? Or does it prove my mind is split
into academic maturity and practical juvenile naivety?
Before
writing this piece, I had little notion of which way I was going to condemn my
actions of today: praise for being open and acknowledging we all must unwind
somehow; scorn for my infantile self-indulgence.
But,
I have decided that I guess this is just me. (I’m sure many were waiting for me
to deploy myself to the corner of a metaphoric room in shame.)
I am
naturally reflective of the past and like to indulge in what I loved as a
child; when I first went to Disneyland Paris - at the age of fifteen - I almost
had palpitations and that was before we
went through the gates (take me there anytime, honestly, it is a magical place).
I am not like other girls (which isn’t a statement to try to convince you to
date me, not in this context anyway…) as in I don’t want to be old enough to
slosh alcohol on my face while missing my mouth entirely, lazily bopping to a
song that sounded the same as the previous ten before it. Nor do I really want
to be self-dependant and streetwise and grasp the secrets of adulthood, at the
age of seventeen.
However,
I also don’t want to play around in school: in class, I’m attentive and
basically a complete teacher’s pet.
I’m
an oxymoron.
And
so, I think that, yes, if you want to squeal excitedly at a puppy on the
pavement, or the fact that you’re having pancakes for lunch (I’m staring at
you, John Lewis…) then you go for it. Yet, if you also want to study hard and discuss trivial social topics, you do
that too. I think at the teenage age (and afterwards too), we’re allowed to quench
our childhood cravings, as well as swan around like the mini adults that we are.
Because it’s all in the name I suppose: teenage.

Everyone is entitled to travel back to Hamleys or an Old Fashioned Sweet shop - life is too stressful at times so a little bit of extra sweetness or cuddle a furry giraffe is most definitely required from time to time X
ReplyDelete