I
love pasta. Painfully relatable? Possibly so, but by living with a (lovely,
kind and caring) mum who despises every delicious swirl and pinched-bow, except
lasagne, I feel slightly deprived by my second favourite carbohydrate (if you
read Nostalgia on a Plate, you will
be able to work out pretty quickly what number one is). So, one lunchtime when
I was alone in the house, I gleefully grabbed the lonesome pasta bag in the
cupboard and created this: broccoli pesto pasta. (It’s so simple that I will
not have invented it, but I occasionally like to believe in my culinary prowess.)
So,
if you would like to impress…me (I doubt any other date would offer to marry
you after this dish, but you can always try), here is how to do it[1]:
Ingredients:
favourite pasta, broccoli cut into florets, two tablespoons of pesto,
smattering of mature cheddar cheese.
Time:
about 15 minutes. Under 2 to demolish, if you are me.
1. Boil
water in a pan and measure out the ‘75g per person’ portion as it states on the
pasta packet.
Realise that you are growing
young woman/man, disregard the scales and hurl out as much pasta as a small
rhinoceros could eat – if they could appreciate pasta.
2. Pour
the pasta into the boiling water. Get the pasta packet out of the cupboard
again, after realising you did not read the time needed to cook it. Review this
multiple times, because your brain will act as if it has never encountered
numbers before.
3. While the pasta is bubbling energetically away,
cut broccoli into florets. Possibly research how much will constitute to one of
your five-a-day and then feel accomplished, even needing to gloat, that you have successfully eaten healthily (even if the meal is followed by a huge
flapjack slice-what? Me?)
4. Grate
a little cheddar cheese, ready to stir into your creation at the end. I use
extra mature, because my taste buds are not weak and puny and withered. (Also
because I like the taste, but whatever you desire: maybe try a pinch of
parmesan if you feel like an Italian goddess, like I usually embody every time
I serve myself this.)
5. Five
minutes before the pasta is ready to be devoured, scrape the broccoli into the
pan. Feel a sense of power as you send each little broccoli soldiers to their
deaths by walking the chopping-board plank.
6. When
the cooker’s timer screams that YOUR FOOD
IS READY YOU BETTER COME HERE RIGHT NOW OR IT WILL ALL BURN AND IT WILL ALL BE
YOUR FAULT, drain the pasta and place in a bowl.
7. Scrape two (three, five…) tablespoons of
pesto out of a jar and stir into the pasta bowl. Sprinkle (or slam-dunk, if you
grated enough for a steroid-driven mouse[2])
the cheese over the top.
8. Devour, consume and internally grin that you are
now officially chef.
[1] There are literally millions of other ways to win me over, please do not just continually boil pasta away at the stove, with a pleading desperation bleating in your eyes. Also I know this is directed to no secret lovers, trust me, I am merely being hyperbolic.
[2] I am not entirely sure what the
constant animal references are either. Possibly because I usually identify with
the ‘I could eat a horse’ category of hungry.






Wish I liked pasta - love your post but that will not inspire me to eat bows, twirls or any other starchy shapes x X
ReplyDelete