Placing the blade of the knife across my soft palm, I
drag the metal along the skin: the tissue parts like peeling freshly-glued
papers apart, and then a second later, venetian red roses bloom, swell,
overflow. My eyes avert towards the mirror in the hallway and I stride towards
it, palm held upwards as the blood dribbles down my wrist.
Staring at myself, I watch my pupils dilate in the new
light. My hand is darker in its reflection, now clotting like gritty wine. The
skin around my eyes does not wince in defiance against the assault; they
cushion inside the dips of cheekbones, asleep. Nothing registers the wound,
mending itself peacefully.
Angled under the kitchen windowsill, the serration of
the knife highlights the slither of blood straggled in its roughness: an
accomplice to the unheard torment.
Beginning to shrivel back into the startled skin, I
pinch together the incision with the fingers on my other hand, producing more
delicate flowers to expand in mahogany shades. The skin around it is not subtle
but worn, as if swiped with sandpaper and left out in the sun. How deceitful
the body can be.
I have never taken a knife towards my self: I could
not envisage the appeal. Even now, there is no surge in the capillaries, or a
twitch under the scalp. The wall under the mirror exhibits a thin stain of what
hours ago seeped out of the hand now cupped on my knee: the only affirmation of
the act, after the knife cradled into the washing machine rack. An absence of
muscle memory, of squinting pain, sharp words firing out of the throat. Now, where
could they have got to?
A response to imagining 'a world without pain'.
I really appreciate the efforts made here behind writing such a wonderful blog. I can recognize this blog very well for all the efforts made by writers to deliver well and standard information.กระ
ReplyDeleteI found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.เลเซอร์หน้าใส
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words!
DeleteThank you so much it really means a lot that people keep reading and telling others about my blog! I hope you are still enjoying it x
ReplyDelete