Every other day, as my lazy fingers strain to reach
the TV remote, a reel of depressing - sometimes slightly provocative - news
stories steam on, while I slurp on my Shredded Wheat. And, more often than not,
someone in some country has done something to offend them. (As we’ve proved
with most of history, we don’t learn
from the past…) And, more often than not, we all form one of three innate
opinions: “they’re really stupid what the heck did they think would happen?”; “they
had every right to, free speech human rights” etc, etc; or “Mum where’s the remote? Has it fallen
down the sofa cushion again?”
However, I have been thinking (batten down any loose
objects!) and surely, surely you
would research the customs of a place before you visit? Maybe? I mean, you
wouldn’t burst into a holy place of worship, with bikini shorts half way past
your rear end, hooting a vuvuzela (and aren’t we all glad they were all buried,
along with the hopes of becoming the next top Olympic gymnast). Well I hope
not: it would be hideously embarrassing
for everyone there, and yourself, as well
as completely offensive.
And, trust me, it is embarrassing when you get the rules wrong:
When I was about seven, I was gleefully around my
best friend’s house (a maze of animals and theatre tickets I could only aspire
to own), chomping on the tea her mum had cooked for us. I wasn’t a particularly
fussy child at that point – and, goodness, I had been previously – yet I did
have some odd habits. I was, in truth, still grappling the concept of using
cutlery and there were some foods I just didn’t use them for: it had just never
occurred to me – I wasn’t trying to be a generally disrespectful and downright
bratty youngster, I promise.
Anyway, so we were all around my friend’s varnished dining room table – myself, her,
her mum and dad, and two older sisters – enjoying a chat as
awkward and slightly forced as you can probably imagine. Due to this, I wasn’t
exactly examining my eating habits, as I picked up the broccoli. With my
fingers. In fact, it only registered when my friend leaned across to her mum
and asked – in a louder voice than I appreciated – “mum, can I eat my broccoli
with my fingers too?”
Now, I blush like someone has smashed blackberries
into the apples of my cheeks, so you can imagine what happened to my face right
at that moment. I delicately placed the quarter-eaten broccoli back on the
plate, as my friend’s mum agreed she too could
munch on the broccoli with her little fingers. Even then, I could understand
she was only doing this to protect the little dignity a year three actually possesses.
It was mortifying and I have since never eaten
broccoli like I feel it was intended ever
again.
So, if you ever discover yourself to be in a peculiar
land – a foreign country, a religious conference, or your friend’s deceptively-relaxed
family home – please try to observe the customs; you don’t want to trudge into
the trap of broccoli fingers.
Your writing is so good and enjoyable to read x
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah! Really appreciate your kind words x
Delete