Saturday, 11 February 2017

Nostalgia on a Plate

Nostalgia can sneak up and grab you from behind at any passing moment, smothering your body, encasing it into a portal to the past. Sometimes, it leaves us wanting, and other times just help us through the day with an inner grin. This week, I got my dose of reminiscing from my favourite childhood dish.

Most of the time, we indulge in the past by flicking through photos of our childishly-chubby faces and awkward poses in the play park. I have a string of such photos above my bed, featuring precious moments like the second before brain-freeze, while I gobble strawberry ice cream with my mum and Nanny. Without fail, these physically frozen snapshots draw laughter from everyone, including my family who have seen them many times. And, I feel that when you really are nostalgic, you should feel literally lifted every time you stumble across your trigger.
For me, this came in the shape of a mid-week tea.


Ever since I can remember, I have worshipped mashed potato as the best meal anyone could ever give me: a fluffy dollop, mixed with grated cheddar cheese, accompanied by a little pot of baked beans on the side (always in a separate bowl and never touching). I would dutifully fold the cheese into this great creamy-cloud, until each mouthful would have a hint of cheddar, sprinkle on a little salt and that would be perfect.

I don’t know why I have always been drawn to mash, but potatoes used to be the winning food on any plate for me (only now it has been replaced by sweet potatoes). There are many strong memories it is bound to: loosing a tooth at my grandparents while eating it (even I don’t know how something at smooth as mash caused this); random bouts of illness that only my favourite meal could calm; happily instructing family members on how to achieve the ideal cheesy mound. Whether with sausages and gravy, folded into smoked fish, or on its own like I used to enjoy (and still do), mashed potato never fails to make me smile.


And so, if you are ever feeling a little low, or stressed, try to find your key nostalgic item, food, film, memory. I promise it will inevitably bring the corners of your mouth into a little curvy grin, and you will forget your problem – for a little while at least. Now, where is the potato peeler?

1 comment: